When to Replace Your Electric Bike Battery | Eco E-Bikes
When to Replace Your Electric Bike Battery
Are you wondering when to replace your electric bike battery? All batteries do wear out over time, whether you use a 36V, or a 48V lithium-ion battery. As a general guideline, it should last between three and five years under normal conditions, though there are circumstances that can cause it to die out after just two years. If you’re wondering when to replace your electric bike battery, this blog by Eco E-Bikes will tell you everything you need to know.
Factors that Reduce Bike Battery Life
The usual 3-5 year lifespan can be reduced by various factors. For example, temperatures above 92 degrees reduce the expected life of a battery by 50 percent. Storing the bike in a damp environment also reduces the lifespan. Only using the bike for short trips keeps the battery from fully charging, which also shortens its lifespan. Finally, using too many accessories can have the same effect. Not all batteries will last a full five years, and some won’t last as long as three. So how do you know when to replace your electric bike battery?
- You should replace your electric bike battery right away if it looks swollen, as this indicates that gasses are building up inside it.
- If it won’t take a charge, you should bring it in to a repair shop for a diagnosis. They may tell you that it needs to be replaced.
- If your range is declining or unsatisfactory, your bike battery is probably nearing the end of its life.
- If your battery smells bad – like rotting eggs – that’s a sign that it may have been overcharged or allowed to freeze. However, replace the battery if the smell doesn’t go away.
- If the terminals are corroded, clean them with a baking soda solution. If you can’t get the rust off, it may be time for a replacement.
- If the battery is visibly damaged, it should be replaced right away.
What to Do
Eco E-Bikes has an easy process to get the replacement battery you need. Select your battery voltage, amp hours, and choose the image that looks most similar from your battery. From this information we are be able to identify the correct replacement bike battery.
If you don’t see an image that looks like your battery Eco E-Bikes has a simple form you can use to get the correct replacement easily. All we need to know is the make, model, voltage, and amp hours – although if you can also upload some pictures, that will make it easier for us to tell exactly what you need. In 24-48 hours, we’ll be in touch with an estimate.
You can also call us at (866) 965 2803!